Thursday, April 8, 2010

"SalvADORE" (I stole that from someone)


Ugh. Blogging is so hard.


Last weekend was Easter Break and many people went off to wonderful far away lands. I basically hung around Salvador and ate fish which was fun too.
Also I take back what I said about Plataforma not being that interesting in an earlier post. It has a sweet beach with lots of rocks and shells and really still water so you feel like your on the East Coast. I've started a pretty cool rock/shell collection next to my window.

The rain has picked up a bit here in Salvador. When it's coming it gets super windy and chilly and the ocean goes wild and you know you better get your behind inside. This was the weather last night so I hurried to the apartment and waited. I think it started after I fell asleep but this morning when I woke up it was raining and the street was empty. I was already late, but I forced myself to leave.

Let me tell you.

I got to the bus stop and felt so wet and miserable that I just turned around and went back home in true Bahian fashion.
And then I slept the most wonderful sleep of my life until my next class at 2pm (I promise I won't do it again).


School is going well. In 3D Expression we're making masks right now. Mine is a sort of creepy clown that I gave an extremely pained and sad expression. It breaks my heart a little bit.
Last class my Brazilian friends Adrielly and Oliver schooled me on the United States. Apparently Robin Williams said some messed up stuff about Brazil a while back (he is not our friend anymore). Also, I somehow missed learning about the weird Presidential secret society The Freemasons, but Oliver taught me all about it. Adrielly summed up the US perfectly, "Ninguém gosta, mas tudo vai" --No one likes it, but everyone goes.
In short, they are hilarious and great. Adrielly invited me to see Alice in Wonderland next weekend.

Tonight CIEE had a trip to the Baile Foklorico a folkloric ballet, centered around the Candomble religion and the different Orishas (gods). The show was amazing and all of the dancers were beautiful and incredibly athletic. The music was spectacular as always heavy on percussion in all of the best ways.
It's true what they say, there are other cities in Brazil that have may be more "modern" and have more "cultural events", but I honestly believe that Bahia has more culture. It may not be perfect but there is definitely a sense of Bahian cultural identity--the mixing of African,European and Indigenous cultures to create something completely of its own and it's in the food, the music, the art--everything. I think it's this fact that makes Salvador a place completely unique and incredible.


Aaand I'm done gushing about the city.

Tchau.

No comments: