Monday, April 26, 2010

Herbalife

I'm in a bad mood after a weird Herbalife intervention at breakfast.
This morning as I was leaving the bathroom my host mom introduced me to a friend of hers and mentioned that we would be having breakfast together and talking about study abroad. I had never seen the man before but the whole thing felt strangely contrived. Upon my arrival to the table the man and my host mom sat down, my host mom with a small magazine in her hand reading "Herbalife" across the front.
For those of you who don't know, Herbalife is another one of those fad diets that offers extremely expensive prepackeged food and shakes as meal replacements. Something happened in Salvador recently and now it's all over the place.
I spent the next thirty minutes stuffing my face as the two of them told me how great Herbalife was and why I should start selling it in the U.S.
Eating throughout the whole thing prevented me from telling them that I reeeeally wasn't interested in their expensive eating disorder.

Also, everything in the booklet was a pricier version of what one could do on their own. For example she had me taste a "tea" that was allegedly orange,ginger and honey. Too bad it tasted like Gatorade and Splenda.
In addition, if she knew anything about my financial situation she would know that I could never afford to pay $30 for 7 protein bars.
Anyway, I'm trying to get over the insult of it all.

I came back from my wonderful 10 day stay in Rio de Janeiro on Sunday night.
For those of you who didn't hear about the airport fiasco, I was suppose to only be in Rio Friday through Wednesday but my friend Becca and I, completely overcome with sadness and regret over having to leave, ended up deciding to stay until Sunday only after we were checked in and waiting to get on the flight back to Salvador. The people working for the airline were actually quite nice about the whole thing and manage to retrieve Becca's checked luggage.
It was the best impulse decision I've ever made. Somewhere I read that Rio de Janeiro was the most beautiful city in the world. I remember thinking that it was a ridiculous assertion but then I went there and maybe it's true.

Anyway, I've returned to regular life here in Salvador, going to class, braving the sun, dodging Herbalife.
I'm going to the Island of Itaparica this weekend for a little break (I know, I know) but come on, I'm in Brazil.

Beijos,
Bimbola

No comments: