Saturday, January 2, 2010

Update

My flight arrived to Chicago on Wednesday morning almost 30 minutes late. As a result I missed the block of time for visa inquiries at the consulate but knew I could return on Thursday and tried not to sweat it.
On Thursday at the consulate I sat in the oddly sterile waiting room with my heart frantically beating out of my chest. I think I knew things were going to be okay when I heard the guy ahead of me (one of four, middle aged White guys traveling to Brazil "on business") go up to the window and say "Hey I need a visa to Brazil and I'm leaving on January 9th. Can I get one by then?" and the woman replied "Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem." I remember being annoyed with him and the ease with which he asked the question and I still don't understand why anyone who intentionally wait last minute to apply for a visa.
Once I got to the window myself, I explained the situation, the lady took my application and then told me "You're leaving on January 8th? We'll send it either on Monday or Tuesday. Is that okay?" And that was it. So, God granted, I should have my visa by Wednesday and leave on time.
Currently I'm in Minnesota buying my time until January 3rd when a flight back to Missouri was cheaper. Despite all of the last minute traveling and stress, I've actually had a lot of fun the past few days.Go figure.

7 days and counting.
-B

No comments: