I moved in with my host family this week. My host mom is a journalist. Her name is Nelcy. I also have two host sisters Olivia (18) and Sophia (21). Sophia has a boyfriend named Ricardo who I consider my host brother. I adore my host siblings. They are hilarious and in general good company. They've really gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable. We've been speaking in English which I know is bad, but it was really important to me to establish a relationship with them first. We'll start with Portuguese this week for sure. I've asked Nelcy to start speaking to me in Portuguese and she does. Then I look confused. And she repeats it. Then she repeats it again in English.
They live in a beautiful peach and teal home with a garden in the front. Their house is full of art and contemporary furniture and the kitchen has 50's style black and white tile. My room is small but very comfortable (Barbie sheets!). I have a wonderful view of rooftops from my window and there's also a pomegranate tree (too far to reach).
Today was my first day of class. I love my Portuguese teacher. She has some excellent teaching methods. I spoke more Portuguese in class today than I have since I began learning the language. There was some awkward racial stuff but I think that will happen a lot while I'm here so I won't sweat it...yet. The class on Brazilian culture proved to be much harder. Picture a one hour lecture on modernism in a language that you don't really understand. I had an awful headache by the end. After class my host mom picked me up and we went home. I took two pain meds and "napped" until 7:30pm. Oh I also discovered today that I chipped a molar sometime this afternoon. It's sort of sharp but otherwise I don't notice it. I should go to a dentist. I'll see if CIEE can help me tomorrow.
Now because of my odd sleep schedule I'm not entirely sure when to go to bed. That being said I am feeling tired again. I'm not exactly sure why I'm so exhausted. I think it's probably the heat. I've been watching American television with Portuguese subtitles all night. It's great. Super helpful. The best are music videos because lyrics are typically very simple.
On a final note, today my dad signed an e-mail "Tchau!" So very sweet.
Beijos,
B
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment