The day I turned 18 I went to Hollywood Rebels Tattoo and Piercing Parlor in Columbia and got my eyebrow pierced. I had been in love with the idea of eyebrow piercings for awhile but never considered that I could have MY eyebrow pierced. About a week and a half later I took it out after 1: Being tired of everyone commenting on it. High schoolers have a really hard time with change and 2: A fellow Nigerian stalker...er... friend of my parents, called them in Nigeria to notify them that I had gotten my “eyelid” pierced and my mom began to nag me.
I told myself I'd put it back in once I got to college, but things came up, I got broke, I dated guys that were big squares etc.
Last week, I started to get antsy for a facial piercing. Don't ask me why. I automatically began reconsidering the eyebrow piercing, as it is wonderfully convenient, relatively inexpensive and easy to care for.
I know my mom is freaking out right now.
Anyway, I was up until about 1:30am yesterday morning reading about eyebrow piercings and looking at pictures on Google. Today is a holiday, but I told myself if a parlor was open and it wouldn't cost too much I was getting my eyebrow pierced first thing in the morning.
I left the house at about 11, and walked up the street to a little place that is actually in the same building as my friend Olivia's apartment. They were doing some spring cleaning but were fine with piercing me. So I picked a piece of jewelry, sat down and she did it. It was weird being there alone but also wonderful. There is something so great about just making a decision and going through with it. We...I... so rarely do that.
And so I can't go swimming for a week (who cares? It's raining all week anyway), I have to do some daily cleaning stuff and I'm trying to figure out what to tell my host mom (I'm thinking, “I always had my eyebrow pierced, I just never put jewelry in it) but all in all I'm really happy with it.
I'm going to Nigeria in August and my parents will probably have something to say, but hell, I'm turning 22 in September and actually feel ready to deal with having a weird piercing in Nigeria where even a small fro brings unwanted attention.
Huzzah!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment